a Carbonara via S. Giovanni a Carbonara
This is undoubtedly one of the
most beautiful churches in Naples. Situated above street level, it
contains some remarkable works of art from the 15th and 16th
It was built around 1344, but was completely restored under King Ladislas
at the end of the 15th century. Overlooking the entrance staircase is the
Chapel of St. Monica with its splendid marble door. The chapel forms the
faēade of the church which in fact has no faēade of its own.
It contains the Sanseverino Monument by Andrea da Firenze.
The interior of San Giovanni a Carbonara is formed of an aisleless Latin
cross plan, with added chapels.
The presbytery is distinguished by its clearly Gothic features.
Most notable among the works of art it contains is the Tomb of King
Ladislaus, attributed to various artists of Tuscan northern schools,
among whom figures Andrea da Firenze.
The Caracciolo del Sole Chapel contains the tomb of Sergianni
Caracciolo (the work of Andrea da Firenze).
It also features some frescoes of the mid-15th century.
The Caracciolo di Vico Chapel is considered to be one of the most
outstanding examples of the 16th century architecture in Southern Italy.
The altar of the Madonna delle Grazie (Our Lady of Mercy) is the
work of the Florentine artist, Michelangelo Naccherino.
Opposite the entrance is the imposing, monumental Miroballo altar,
the result of the combined work of various sculptors of the Lombard school.
The Seripando Chapel contains the
admirable 16th century Crucifix by Vasari.
The church is situated over the church of St. Sofia in Baroque style
which contains a fine altar by Sanfelice of 1746 and some interesting
bas-relieves of the 16th century.